Myopia Control are ways to help slow down or prevent myopia (short-sightedness) in children. High myopic prescriptions can have significant health implications for the eyes. The worse your short-sightedness, the higher the chance of eye-related complications. However, early intervention can greatly reduce the risk to your child later in life and curb the progression of myopia.
Good eyecare starts at home. Some practical lifestyle adjustments that you can make today to curb the progression of myopia are:
- Children should not spend more than three hours a day on close work (reading, homework or screen-time)
- When doing close work, take breaks every 20 minutes by looking across the room for 20 seconds.
- Avoid the blue-white bright light from tablets and phones three hours before bedtime since it can damage long-term eye health and affect sleep
- Outdoor sport and play of at least 90 minutes a day can reduce the risk of myopia – looking at your tablet or phone when outside doesn’t count! There is evidence to suggest that exposure to outdoor light is beneficial in slowing onset and progression of myopia
If your child is already Myopic, we offer the latest eyewear solutions to help halt the progression of their prescription and keep them safe from resulting complications. They are:
- Ortho-K Contact Lenses (a.k.a Overnight Vision Correction): These specialist contact lenses are currently the best vision correction option to slow down progression of myopia. They work by gently moulding the eye during sleep to create a flatter cornea. When the child is awake, the contact lens is removed and they can enjoy 20/20 vision for the day.
- Specialist Spectacle Lenses: These specialist lenses create a signal in the child’s eye which acts as a shield against eye elongation. Research shows that these lenses can slow down myopia progression by 67% on average, compared to single vision lenses, when worn 12 hours a day.
If you would like to explore Myopia Control further, you can get in touch (using our Contact page) or book an appointment with us today using our online portal.